Crisis or Chance?
Attention: Every Workshop works as a Stand-Alone.
Those, who combine several workshops into a series, receive a discount.
Crisis or Chance? 05.+06. June 2021
Visions: the world after? 14.+15. August 2021
Crisis or Chance?
"How do you feel on a personal level about the current global situation? Is this just a crisis to overcome or could this be our chance to improve things with hope for a better world and future? Make a film in which you describe your feelings towards this in your own unique way. Serious or playful. Poignant or poetic. Silent or as a manifesto."
Thanks to smartphones, everyone has become a filmmaker and video reporter in his or her own life. On the Internet, everyday documents are constantly being published, shared and commented on. The workshop takes up this impulse and guides the participants to focus it into an artistic form: The video diary.
Based on simple practical exercises we create short personal videos. Every workshop has a different universal theme. We work with exactly the technical means that everyone has at their disposal: The smartphone. An editing program is not necessary, because with a good concept, the videos can be filmed in only a single shot.
The documentary filmmaker and lecturer Maja Classen accompanies, coaches and moderates the cinematic journey, in which a video diary of 1-3 minutes is created every month.
- The Video Diary / Autobiographical Filmmaking
- Authorship and narrative perspective
- Short film forms
- Poetic and experimental film forms
- How to find ideas
- Visual Storytelling & Visual Research
- Filming in one shot
- Handling the smartphone camera, camera app
- Exchange within the group / networking
- Personal mentoring in your own project
Writers*, filmmakers*, artists*, editors*, journalists* and all* who want to sharpen and practice their eye for personal, poetic and experimental narrative styles. No previous knowledge is required.
- You will sharpen your personal perspective and express it from artistic, experimental and poetic audio-visual narrative forms.
- You will learn to reach a universal relevance from your own personal story.
- You will learn to create artistic and professional videos with simple technical means (smartphone).
- You will learn serial, diary-like storytelling
- You will create your own videos and document a period of your
- You will learn from other course participants and exchange creative ideas.
Both days are structured by alternating between online meetings, practical exercises and individual coaching.
Maximum 8 participants
Maja Classen lives and works in Berlin, as a freelance filmmaker, documentary tutor, dramaturg, mentor and a mother of two children. She studied Directing at the Film University Babelsberg (formerly HFF Konrad Wolf) and has made four full-length documentaries, several short films and radio features. Within her works she deals with personal narratives and experimental and hybrid forms. Her works have been awarded, broadcasted on television, radio and presented in international film festivals. Her focal themes are on musical and youth subcultures, social and interpersonal issues. Her work is influenced by the Cinéma Verité and is driven by her own curiosity, her passion for people’s stories and devoted to searching for answers. Teaching and mentoring are as much a passion for Maja as filmmaking itself.